There were a few take aways from the book that I felt were practical for me and beneficial for Abdullah were. One of the main ideas for me was that toddlers need stuff to do. You can choose the stuff or they will choose the stuff and it probably wont be stuff that you want them to do.
1) The shelf: Since there was only space on the changing table (i.e. the everything table) in their room, that's been converted into a two tier shelf with his clothes on the top and 3 play options on the bottom. Right now, he's only got his toys and two box objects.
2) The
3) Activity turn over: We don't have much space for toys and many of the toys Abdullah has aren't really ones that can occupy his attention for long periods of time. In the world of toddler activities,
This week, in addition to his toys, I made some box objects for the independent play shelf.
The first is an object permanence box, which was meant for KC. Ball goes in the hole. Ball comes out. The second was an extension on that. I call it the Go Get the Mail box. Fold up the papers, put them in the slot, they don't come out, you go get them. There's a small opening in the bottom so you have to reach pretty far to get the things out.
Abdullah rather enjoyed pushing, pulling, and fishing. Part of me keeps waiting for him to be like, really mom? But so far so entertained.
After about 20 minutes he decided his box was too slow and commandeered KC's which has a ramp for the ball and proceeded to experiment with seeing how balls, tops, and other random things he could find would come down the ramp. During his 2nd play time, he decided he needed "in." I don't know what's with him and going in places, but I'll be sure to make his box objects big enough to get in or small enough that he wont think to go in them (although he enjoys standing in shoe boxes).
4) Life Skills: To be honest, Abdullah has been all about life skills activities since they involve moving. Since these kinds of things were mentioned in the book, I thought I'd mention them here. Recently, we put hooks in since Abdullah frantically looks around after showers and trips to try to find where he should put his things since he can't reach up in the closets.
5) Arts and Crafts: I'm laughing to myself writing this because somewhere someone is putting out the idea that toddlers can do arts and crafts in the sense that we think of school aged kids doing arts and crafts. I've been perusing some pins lately and am confident that 99% of toddler arts and crafts basically consist of adults making an object and then letting a toddler ruin it decorate it with love.
This is Abdullah's first creation. I call it "Thank You for Letting Me Play with Scissors." Abdullah's face on realizing that he was actually cutting things with scissors was nothing short of joy. He must have been watching and plotting for awhile because I didn't even think he'd know what they were. He immediately picked them up and proceeded to stab the paper with them making his confused face since things weren't immediately turning to shreds. Btw, Abdullah failed this assignment. As you can see, he definitely failed to place the correct number of objects in each column. He also doesn't seem to understand that you leave the glued pieces on, hence debris look. It's post modern.
This was a good attention span activity since Abdullah worked on this for about a half an hour and didn't want to stop using the scissors. He only got up twice.
After reading toddler activity blogs, I've also come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to start collecting more trash. Kareem threw out a perfectly good egg carton that I had my eye on. Sad day. Maashaa Allaah.















No comments:
Post a Comment