In the world of verbal and motor development, things are definitely picking up steam for Abdullah and KC. KC's disconcerting gargles and gags have given way to a host of syllables soliloquies that rivals her big brother's gregariousness at that age. Oddly enough, like he did, she chooses to chatter most often when alone.
The two have formed what some might call a twin language. And by some, I mean the woman from my grandmom's block who asked me if my kids were twins. As KC develops, so does Abdullah's baby trances: the times (usually when he's in trouble or Skyping) and suddenly looses the ability to talk, walk, or pick up objects without flailing them around in the air. Now his trances consist of strings of jabber and futile attempts to stand while seeking out some object to pull up on.
Most times, however, he's speaking his own languge and making up for our poor parenting by narrirating his own day detailing everything to his morning report of what's in his diaper to his final instructions for bedtime prep. While most of his words are easially understandable (to me) either through correct pronounciation or simple context clues, there are times when things are lost in translation. My default is just to respond to every confusing string of words with a "yes" if we are in the house or a play area or a "no" if anywhere else.
At the mall the other day, I was reminded of why I need this rule. I had told Abdullah we were going to play and suddenly he started proclaiming "Ask, unour" over and over again. I couldn't imagine what word he was saying since he was looking straight forward and there was nothing within his reach. After about the seventh repitition, I finally said yes just to find out what the word was that he wanted so badly. Abdullah took off running down a long hallway full of early morning elderly mall walkers (all of whom found him more than delightful). Fortunately, his run is about as fast as my fast walk, so he didn't get very far.
Despite the parenting advices that suggest that too much "no" isn't good for kids, for Abdullah's safety, we'll keep the no-default policy for awhile longer.
Although the word "ask" is a statement usually made rather emphatically (I think he defines it ask, hey, I'm asking you for something!), Abdullah has started using "why" rather judiciously often acompanied by a hyper perplexed face.
After round 4 of furniture moving to try to maximize floor space and minimize access to objects, I had moved Abdullah closer to their closet and put the books table closer to KC's crib thinking that both wouldn't have the dexterity to manipulate those particular objects. Of couse, the next morning, the room was in shambles. I first noticed the mountain of blankets that Abdullah had strewn all over his crib and the floor. Either in an attempt to accuse his sister or an attempt to avert my attention, he wrinkled up his face, turned his head and slowly formed out "Why.... didat.... Dijah." Opening the door fully, I found a pile of books that had been obviouly manhandled the night before.
No comments:
Post a Comment