I've been searching for the perfect whole wheat sandwich bread recipe and have found a few contenders, but sadly have closed them all. Suggestions are more than welcome. One requirement: It can't have any ingredients like "milled buckwheat" or "orange juice" or other things that I wouldn't regularly keep on hand.
After finding out that a close relative of our age has less than perfect cholesterol levels, we've decided to try to phase out a lot of the meat (i.e. chicken breast) and dairy that we had been eating. The kids may or may not still eat meat and dairy. I can't confirm or deny their dietary habits in this particular forum.
To up the ante as it were, I've decided to shoot for a "plant based whole foods diet" emphasis on shoot for. I'm kind of a fan of fad diets (i.e. eating plans, not dieting strategies). They bring a new set of techniques and ingredients to the party and I don't really think I've ever seen one that was actually bad for you except maybe Atkins.
So, right now we're kind of in a purging phase. I used up the last of the coffee creamer just tonight so we're down to just having 2 bags of white flour and sugar left to eat before we can be processed free. We wont bother with the bags of left over almond bark or the 20 lbs of frozen chicken breast in the freezer right now. I'll have to find a way to feed those to the kids over the next year.
After realizing that I was out of whole wheat flour today, I decided to just take the leap and make a loaf of white bread using one of King Arthur's recipes. I used vegetable oil, added some flax seed and braided it to make it seem healthier.
Note to self, spraying loaf with cooking oil doesn't help flax seeds stick. Just use egg wash.
I'm glad I have kids to help me eat it. It tastes too good.



No comments:
Post a Comment