Wednesday, November 28, 2012

White Whole Wheat Autolyse Loaf and Buns

I think this is a new-old whole wheat recipe. I've been trying to find the one the yielded this whole wheat gluteny beauty:

Didn't take pics of the final, but I remember it being a pretty bouncy loaf.
 
Today, I tried this recipe and it definitely seems to be a contender. I used white wheat flour for this one. Not sure what the difference is right now.
 






2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup water
2 teaspoons instant yeast
____________
4 cups whole wheat flour
1 3/4 cups water
____________

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup olive oil
3 teaspoons instant yeast
3 teaspoons kosher salt

Autolyse, mix, rise, deflate, rise, shape, rise, bake.

Added about 1 cup extra water and baked at 400ish.
 Here's what 5tsp of yeast gets you. These were dainty dinner rolls and a 1/2 full loaf pan before the final rise.


 


I think the yeast had already pushed this dough to the limit on the final rise. I figured I wouldn't get any oven spring, but I didn't feel like reshaping. Still got a great texture. Tastes kind of like a super crusty English Muffin. A French Muffin if you will. I've decided the rolls are actually burger buns. I'll them for my dad who is on a never ending search for a crusty bread for every occasion.
 


Did 1/4 cup of honey ever make anything taste bad? Bonus, Abdullah loves his new empty yeast jar manipulative. Alhamdulillah.

Next time, same recipe, 2tsp yeast (and maybe no steam).

No comments:

Post a Comment